Tuesday, December 18, 2007

In Love With Girly Things

All of this drab talk of soul searching and finding oneself has got me all gray and depressed. Luckily, in the past couple days I've experienced everything that could have possibly made me feel better. Good sex, weed, Moscato, new music and hot buys. Call me shallow...but at least I'm smiling.

I saw this watch:


On KarmaLoop.com, and pretty much had an orgasm. I am a chick who likes trinkets and whatnot, but never really dug small delicate watches. I've always loved men's watches a lot more than women's. Well, this particular watch, by Nixon, is the perfect mix of feminine detail and the kind of presence that men's watches have. Utterly cute chic.

I am also digging Alicia Key's song, I Need You off of her new album As I Am. If you haven't heard it, the funky drum info, unfolds to a lush set of lyrics that pairs some of natures more obvious occuring couples.

In the first verse, she sets up her argument:

The sand loves when..the waves come The sky can't wait...for the light of the sun

And then she sets up here most compelling lyrics she may have ever written:

North needs south east needs west...No needs yes yes yes Up needs down life needs death...No needs yes yes yes

The sweet yearning in her voice is made lighter by the uptempo funkiness of the song. Though I think Alicia Keys is a tad overrated (tad=probably more than 50 Cent), I believe that her willingness to be unconventional has gotten her this far. In No One, she takes a song that could easily have been conventional...with its sort of hip hop stomp and her typical piano stylings, and sings it achingly reggae with synthesizers toward the end. There is something about her sound now that is more unique and mature. It is more reminiscent of Lauryn Hill than Amy Winehouse's sound, real talk. It's strong yet womanly. On top of that, she is the most stunning that's she's been her whole career.



I wouldn't call this a crush, but all of that coupled with her new video with Common makes me like her a lot more.

So, there are the men who like you in life. And then there are the men who you wished liked you more. And then there are the one's you develop sort of unique emotions for. Someone who you want more of, but not in a hindering way. I want his time, but I don't want to take his time away from anything else he's doing. I want his attention, but sparingly. Something similar to the Moscato and weed we ingested as we chilled the other day. Both are potent in flavor...so must be imbibed sparingly.

If I had to use two words to describe him, they would be masculine and wordly. Or maybe music and sex. Or maybe creativity and swagger. Hmmm...

No comments: